Pages

Thursday, September 12, 2013

A Peek in the Closet

Long awaited greetings friends. I have clearly been keeping busy and not getting around to checking in here lately. Also been having some issues accessing the blog for the last couple of days. Finally found a go-around, and am hoping that the issue is fixed on the server side of things soon.

Spent three solid days cooking last week. I've started to restock the freezer with the bounty of summer produce from the local farmer's market. It's about half full now and I have the makings for another two batches of vegetable stock, which will finish filling one of the shelves. Also spent a day and a half of that time making meals for a friend who just had hip surgery this week. She will be off her feet for a little while, so I got together with one of my best girlfriends and we made a week's worth of meals for her and her family. And I realized in the process that this may be a reason why I've been so inordinately lucky with my friends and support over the last year and a half. This is not the first time I've helped out a friend in need, and will certainly not be the last. I try to be there for those I care about, and in return they have been there for me. You get what you give.

My sister, brother-in-law and nephew came down for a day visit last week as well. We went to the Air Zoo and had a really good time seeing everything and riding the rides. It was, surprisingly, my first time there even though I've been here in Kalamazoo for thirteen years. We had some good visiting, went to the best pizza place in town, and generally enjoyed one another. My nephew just keeps growing and getting stronger. I suspect he will be walking sometime in the next month or so. Not talking yet, but I am looking forward to that development.

Many of you who follow this blog likely know that part of the initial surgery to remove my rectal tumor left me with a permanent colostomy. I've been relatively open about this fact in face-to-face conversations, but have hesitated to talk about it in this space. In the last few months I've gotten even more comfortable revealing this fact and decided that it was time to just "come out" completely. This has been a very large change in my day to day life, and a major change to my body and my body image. The surgery was in May of last year, and it took me several months to acclimate to this new normal. It's been over a year now and I figure that it was time to finally just let go. As with any major physical change there have been ups and downs and a variety of frustrations. I won't go into any of the stinky details, but needless to say, I've had to deal with many challenges in becoming an ostomate. However, it is partly because of this change that I am still here and in good health. If you didn't know about this already, or are interested in knowing more, please feel free to contact me or find me face-to-face and I'll be happy to chat about it and answer any questions.

I'll leave you all with that big reveal. I've got quite a bit on my mind lately and will likely post again in the next couple of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment