Pages

Sunday, September 10, 2017

Liar, Liar. Ned's on Fire.

So that week just sunk into oblivion.

I talked a lot about breathing in my last post. It was on my mind because it was becoming harder every day. The home oxygen was a great booster, but we had to keep upping the liter output to keep up with my worsening condition. Called both my oncologist and pulmonologist on Wednesday to let them know it was getting worse, not better or even staying the same. Late in the afternoon I got a call back from the pulmonologist telling me to pack and bag and head to the ER to be admitted for the evening. *Sigh*

I had an appointment with a cardio-thoracic surgeon on Thursday to do a surgical consult about the stent placement. One of his team came to talk to us Thursday afternoon and got all my signatures so they could schedule it for the next day, Friday. One of the convenient things about being in the hospital is that everything gets expedited. No more waiting for slots - they just jam you in somewhere and get shit done ASAP. You are in STAT status and it can be kind of nice. I don't know how the week and weekend would have gone if I was just home on oxygen waiting until early this coming week for the procedure. I would have been in very poor shape by now.

Instead, I have a happy stent in my lower left airway that is allowing me to use the full capacity of my lower left lobe. Still no use in the upper half, but it is way more than I've been using for about two months. I can ambulate about without losing all my breath and take a shower without needing a sit-down break afterward. My vitals the last two days have been in healthy normal mode and I've been needing less and less oxygen again. Four nights/days in the hospital and they sent me home this afternoon. So nice to be home on my own couch in my pjs

Like us, you might be wondering why my condition was worsening when that tumor was necrotic and we were all thinking I might be in a state of N.E.D. Well, 3 CT scans in the last month show that stubborn tumor in my left brachial airway was growing and cutting off more and more of the airway. Harumph! Stupid, shitty tumor has been named Medusa ('cause she's apparently a bitch to kill) and I meet with my oncologist on Wednesday to talk about how we are now going to deal with her again.

I expect a new spate of appointments with the radiologist and pulmonologist again to talk about all the options. I expect (hope) that my case will be taken to the Karmanos tumor board soon as well. Time to get back on the cancer horse and see where it takes me.

For the moment, I am feeling peppier and have better breath and energy than I have in a couple of months. Although you're not allowed much solid sleep in the hospital with all the poking and prodding every couple/few hours, I did sleep better last night than I have in a week. That's the plan for most of the next two days actually. Catching up on sleep and proper rest and recuperation in my own space. Plus way better food.

8 comments: