Sunday, September 23, 2012

Jiggity Jig

Home again, home again, jiggity jig! They finally released me midday today. Packed all my stuff up quick as could be, changed in to some real clothes and got the heck outta there. Headed straight home where I was greeted by what I will delude myself into believing were grateful kitties. Was craving some pasta. So after a quick unpacking, headed back out into civilization and rustled up some really good lasagna. It was pretty freakin' terrific to be out and about and not stuck in the hospital anymore. Don't get me wrong, all my nurses and their assistants were great to me, the rooms are decent and I had people and stuff to keep me occupied. But it's just not the best vacation you can plan.

It's been a good afternoon and evening so far. Though I am getting tired pretty quickly. There's not a lot of opportunity for uninterrupted bouts of sleep in the hospital. And I'm so looking forward to crawling in to my own bed, with fresh flannel sheets, and sleeping without an alarm or someone to wake me up in the middle of the night to take my blood pressure or my blood. Speaking of blood... my WBC counts have incrementally gone up each day I was in the joint. Still not very high at all, but staying on the upswing is positive. They are continuing the antibiotic regimen with two oral pills for the next 10 days. My energy level is back up to the new normal and I am generally feeling fine. Have been for the last 36 hours actually.

This Tuesday is a planned chemo day, but I'm not sure how that is going to work out considering my last week's experience. I'll see what my oncologist has to say, and will also be checking in about when we are planning my next PET scan (should be soon I suspect) to see how the cancer is reacting to the chemo these last couple of months. I'll also see my rectal surgeon again on Thursday to double check on how my ass is healing after this most recent debacle. Expect to see a new post on Tuesday, whether it is more live chemo blogging or an explanation of why we're not getting it this time around.

I'm just very grateful to be back in my own space again. It was hard to get excited about much this week. I really struggled with feeling confined and down. I didn't get up and take walks or anything. I just wallowed in my room and took comfort in the people around me. It was very, very nice to have my sister in town for part of it. We had some great conversations, and she is such a relieving and loving presence for me. Again, I am amazed at my support network, at all of you who are helping in so many ways and reading and cheering me on through this. I had special deliveries of tea, chocolates, bagels, lunch, dinner, coffee, movies. I feel very lucky and extraordinarily thankful. So, thank you. And know that I hold so much love in my heart for you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment