Thursday, September 6, 2012

More Live Blogging!

My bloodwork counts are way up this week. Still below the average zone, but the important numbers are double and triple what they were last week. And apparently my bilirubin numbers are in a much better place as well, which means my liver is in better shape. The extra eight days off chemo this last week gave my body some needed recovery time. My immune system is still pretty compromised, so I'll have to continue keeping a watchful eye on myself. But it is fantastic to know that my body can bounce back on its own so well.

9:40 a.m.
So right now I'm accessed, hooked up to the first IV fluids, got my pillows and a warm blanket, and I chose a chair with good sun exposure. My belly is full of a good, warm breakfast and they just brought me some fresh coffee. Not too bad of a start for chemo day. Going to go play all the scrabble games now. Keep refreshing for the ongoing live updates!

9:55 a.m.
The drugs begin... A shot of two anti-nausea meds, and start up the Ativin. Herewith starts the mellowness. I'm hoping the muscle relaxant properties help to loosen my right shoulder up. Woke yesterday with it all tight and sore up into my neck. Heating pad time and ibuprofen didn't help it any yesterday. If they get done with me early enough today then I'll head upstairs for a free chair massage to try to finish working the kink out.

10:15 a.m.
The Ativin has definitely started kicking in. Feeling a bit unfocused and losing the typing skills. Started the third anti-nausea med, this one stays in my system for three days. And yes, the overloading of the anti-nausea drugs are needed. It seems a bit crazy overdoing it, but it's important.

10:45 a.m.
Moving on to the Avastin, an angiogenesis inhibitor which helps the body prevent the creation of new blood vessels. Cancer cells grow and spread by forcing the body to create new blood vessels to feed them. This acts as a counter. And sleepiness is winning. Might be time for nap number one.

11:18 a.m
No nap yet. Getting hooked up to the Oxaliplatin now. Will have to move to warm drinks from here on out today. This is a two hour infusion, so good time for napping.

12:24 p.m.
Napping accomplished. Could do some more, but not feeling completely at its mercy now. There will be more napping when I get home. Also feeling less fuzzy from the Ativin. I bought myself a sandwich to go at my breakfast restaurant this morning. I should be hungry by now and should attempt to eat at least some of it. Unfortunately I can already feel the effect of the drugs on my system and hunger is dissipating. Talking with a couple of the ladies here about nutrition through this process.

1:27 p.m.
The long hang is done and now flushing me to prepare for the pump. Apparently we can't get a blood return from my port access, which means that a blood clot or protein skin has formed at then end of my catheter. So I get a dose of TPA to break it up. We wait for a while for it to work and then try again. Time to catch up on scrabble games.

2:10 p.m.
Blockage is clear, waiting for the pump now. Then, I think I'll scoot upstairs and get one of the free chair massages they offer after this. My shoulder is a little less tight (probably the Ativin), but still tender and sore up to my neck. And I am so very tired and don't have much focus. Tried to play a scrabble game and just kept micro-napping. Getting the bolus of the first 5-FU now. Another ten minutes or so and I'll be free.

2:30 p.m.
All hooked up and ready to go get my massage. Then home where I will attempt to get around to eating my lunch. And naps, there will be much napping. I hope you've all enjoyed this 'oh so exciting' (note the ripe sarcasm) edition of live chemo blogging. I'm outie!

1 comment:

  1. Hey, it's just before 3pm, I caught this right after you finished :-) Hope you're able to take a few bites of that sammich between snoozes.

    Gentle hug,